Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust
Home Classifieds Galleries/Contests Forum Featured 4 Advertise Contact Us About Us Log In/Join
Go Back

Add "SimonBanks99" to your Buddy List! 
 Members Profile: SimonBanks99   

Profile Photo:
Photo Gallery:
Spirit Mountain

About Me:
Category: Poetry, Writers 
Date Joined: Sep. 26, 2011
Last Login: Sep. 27, 2011   Time: 11:07 AM
Total Logins: 2
Judged: None
Bio/Description: Simon Banks, who lives in Harwich on the English east coast, started writing poetry again by submitting a poem for a competition about a night spent on Cader Idris, a Welsh mountain with the myth that anyone spending a night there is next day either mad or a poet. He won and wrote another poem a few days later!

He's been published in several UK poetry magazines such as Earthlove, Rubies in the Darkness, Moodswing and Pennine Ink, and has set up a poetry blog: http://www.simonsworlds13.wordpress.com. He's now working on a darkly humorous fantasy novel, "The Case of the Broken Spectacles".

Specialties: Lyrical and mystical poetry; fantasy
What's in it for me?: My poetry is lyrical and mystical mostly, but sometimes satirical and deceptively simple. I write both in regular form and apparent free verse (I don't think there's such a thing as free verse: either the connections are there but not obvious, or it's prose). Nature is often a background, but rarely a theme: if I write about a dark wood or climbing a mountain, it isn't purely about woods and mountains. If I could recommend just one of my poems, it would be "Callanish".

What's in it for you?: I believe very strongly that poetry is an art of the spoken word, so the sound of the words is vital. Try reading them aloud (at least in your mind). It will help if you're at least open-minded about spirituality and feel positive about wild hills and the sea. I like swapping ideas with others writers of poetry (I don't much like the word "poet" - like the word "artist", it carries too many airs and graces).

MY favourite poets include Yeats, Hopkins and MacNeice. Always happy to collaborate in readings etc.

Home Page  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us
©2010 MUTT Online & Online Connexions, Inc.